Growing Up Digital, Wired for Distraction (NY-Times article)
Wow... Fascinating. And amusingly enough, I'm reading that article when I should be asleep, to cope with my monday morning. Well, atleast it was interesting throughout the first page. Then I got distracted. Wanted to head over to facebook or youtube. But I kind of see the point. With all the information on the web so easy to just skip from page to page looking for new things to learn. Sometimes you might forget what you actually came for. It's like walking into a library, looking for a specific book but ending up never even searching for it among the shelves.
I guess it all comes down to choices. Some of us choose to stay on the web a little bit longer, some choose to sleep. Some choose to 8 hours of sleep, some choose not to. I'd probably choose the latter. Here I am at 01:42 (Stockholm time (+1 GMT)) writing in my blog about choices when I should be preparing for a long monday. I guess I'm a procrastinator. I keep procrastinating, and I think it's just getting worse. In one way I guess I'm just kind of tired. The weeks are the same. It's hard to see the point in getting up for something you've done countless times before. Maybe I need something new. Something to spice things up a bit. But that probably wont happen for another year or so. I'll be stuck in monotony. But aren't we all? That's what society is essentially built on. Monotonous jobs repeating monotonous tasks for the same pay every month. No wonder we're all bored with our day-to-day lives. Monday through friday, it's all just the same. Then, during the weekends, some of us get drunk. Some of us just sit around doing nothing 'cause the rest is out drinking.
Thinking about it I really start to understand why I spend so much time on the internet. And why a lot of other people do it to! Our day-to-day lives are boring and repetitive where as the internet is fresh every time you check facebook, or your favorite forum. Things happen. The online world is constantly changing in a way that your "normal", offline, life just isn't. And there is just countless amounts of sites to check, from pornography to facebook, containing loads of information.
But I guess, in some ways, you still have to live your regular life. Otherwise your just not part of the society and we can't have that! No, no, no, and god forbid you try to make something of yourself that's out of the ordinary. We're all supposed to be good little worker-ants, gathering food for the queen. And let's kill all creativity when our children are still in school. Why should they learn to make something new, when they can just read about what some guy did in the 18th century? That's it. Lets just all think about the lightbulb. Think long and hard about the lightbulb. Then do some subtraction, that'll fix whatever ails you.
Over and out.
No comments:
Post a Comment